Follow us on social

google cta
North Gaza Gazans

Surprise: CIA link to sketchy Israeli aid scheme

Meanwhile, retired Marine tapped to run the project resigns saying it cannot be independent or meet humanitarian standards

Analysis | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

A former CIA officer who once headed American schemes to train right wing contras in Nicaragua in the 1980s has been working with the Israelis to hatch a new aid organization, call it "independent," and proceed to deploy it on the starving Gaza population with the assistance of foreign entities and U.S. security contractors, according to new reports.

To say something stinks here is an understatement. After the New York Times got a whiff and started writing about how the idea came together shortly after the Oct. 7, 2023 Hamas attacks on Israel, and that it was the brain child of IDF officials, Israeli tech entrepreneurs, and ex-COGAT (state aid coordinators) and one Israel-American venture capitalist, the CEO of the mysterious "Gaza Humanitarian Organization" quit last night.

CEO Jack Wood is a retired U.S. Marine who was on board to lead the fundraising for this effort. Upon his resignation he said in a statement: “It is clear that it is not possible to implement this plan while also strictly adhering to the humanitarian principles of humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and independence, which I will not abandon.”

This sets back plans by ex-CIA officer Phillip F. Reilly, who the NYT describes:

As a young C.I.A. operative in the 1980s, Mr. Reilly had helped to train the Contras, right-wing militias fighting Nicaragua’s Marxist government, according to a 2022 podcast interview. Two decades later, he was one of the first U.S. agents to land in Afghanistan after the Sept. 11 attacks, according to the interview. He became the C.I.A. station chief in Kabul, then left to work as a private security expert for groups including Orbis, a Virginia-based consulting firm.

Reilly had engineered the procurement of Safe Reach Solutions, another mysterious U.S. private security firm that has been operating in the Gaza strip since early this year and my colleague Stavroula Pabst has written about for RS given the risks of having private American boots on the ground — for both the local population, and the "boots." The arrangement brings the U.S. closer than ever to the fighting there and in a split second could draw Washington into the conflict directly. It is not clear what Reilly's role is in UG Solutions, the other firm mentioned in past reports, but the New York Times mentions another U.S. based entity, G.H.F. under his purview.

What makes it even more suspicious is Wood told NYT (before his resignation) that these security companies work at "arms length" from the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (by the way there are two of the same name registered, one in the Delaware and the other in Switzerland). But an American lawyer, James Cundiff, registered both Safe Reach Solutions and the Delaware-based foundation and had been serving as a spokesperson for both. Confused yet?

All of this seeming skullduggery belies the fact that no real aid is getting to the civilians of Gaza, that the illegal siege of the population persists, and any idea that a new system will open up assistance this week is likely to be another gambit to force Gazans from their homes, particularly in the north (expulsion) under the auspices of humanitarianism.


Top photo credit: Displaced Gazans in North Gaza. January 2025. (Anes Mohammed/Shutterstock)
google cta
Analysis | QiOSK
Why SCOTUS won’t deter Trump’s desire to weaponize trade
Top image credit: U.S. President Donald Trump talks to Chief Justice of the Supreme Court John Roberts on the day of his speech to a joint session of Congress, in the House Chamber of the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., March 4, 2025. (REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque)

Why SCOTUS won’t deter Trump’s desire to weaponize trade

QiOSK

In a 6-3 decision, the Supreme Court today ruled against the White House on a key economic initiative of the Trump administration, concluding that the International Economic Emergency Powers Act (IEEPA) does not give the president the right to impose tariffs.

The ruling was not really a surprise; the tone of the questioning by several justices in early November was overwhelmingly skeptical of the administration’s argument, as prediction markets rightly concluded. Given the likelihood of this result, it should also come as no surprise that the Trump administration has already been plotting ways to work around the decision.

keep readingShow less
Trump Iran
Top image credit: Lucas Parker and FotoField via shutterstock.com

No, even a 'small attack' on Iran will lead to war

QiOSK

The Wall Street Journal reports that President Donald Trump is considering a small attack to force Iran to agree to his nuclear deal, and if Tehran refuses, escalate the attacks until Iran either agrees or the regime falls.

Here’s why this won’t work.

keep readingShow less
As Iran strikes loom, US and UK fight over Indian Ocean base
TOP IMAGE CREDIT: An aerial view of Diego Garcia, the Chagossian Island home to one of the U.S. military's 750 worldwide bases. The UK handed sovereignty of the islands back to Mauritius, with the stipulation that the U.S. must be allowed to continue its base's operation on Diego Garcia for the next 99 years. (Kev1ar82 / Shutterstock.com).

As Iran strikes loom, US and UK fight over Indian Ocean base

QiOSK

As the U.S. surges troops to the Middle East, a battle is brewing over a strategically significant American base in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

President Donald Trump announced Wednesday that he would oppose any effort to return the Chagos Islands to Mauritius, arguing that a U.S. base on the island of Diego Garcia may be necessary to “eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous [Iranian] Regime.” The comment came just a day after the State Department reiterated its support for the U.K.’s decision to give up sovereignty over the islands while maintaining a 99-year lease for the base.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.