Follow us on social

google cta
Is this Trump’s ‘Mission Accomplished’ moment?

Is this Trump’s ‘Mission Accomplished’ moment?

Gaza ceasefire violations are piling up as the US turns its attention elsewhere

Reporting | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

Just two weeks ago, President Donald Trump presided over a grandiose ceremony announcing the end of the war in Gaza. Flanked by dozens of world leaders, Trump told reporters that this accomplishment was “3,000 years” in the making. “It’s gonna hold up, too,” he said. “It’s gonna hold up.”

All signs now indicate that Trump may have spoken too soon. Despite the ceasefire, Israel has continued to carry out airstrikes in Gaza, launching a few new attacks each day. Then, after an Israeli soldier was killed in Gaza on Tuesday, Israel mounted a bombing campaign that killed at least 104 people, bringing the total death toll since the ceasefire to 211 people, according to Gaza’s health ministry.

Israel, which framed these attacks as an effort to enforce the ceasefire, says it now plans to return to the truce. Trump bolstered Israel’s framing, throwing his support behind Israel’s decision to “hit back” while telling reporters that “nothing is going to jeopardize” the ceasefire that his administration helped broker.

But many outside observers have seen a gap between Trump’s comments and the reality on the ground. As Frank Gardner of the BBC put it, “this is stretching the definition of ‘ceasefire’ beyond credulity.”

The Trump administration initially appeared determined to protect the ceasefire. In the first days after the deal, the U.S. dispatched a series of high-level officials to visit Israel and “Bibi-sit” Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin “Bibi” Netanyahu. But, as ceasefire violations continue to pile up, Trump’s attention appears to have turned elsewhere.

This inattention has left Israel an enormous amount of room to operate, and Israeli officials have not hesitated to take advantage of it. Part of the problem stems from Israel’s belief that it is allowed to unilaterally enforce the terms of truces with its enemies. In Lebanon, Israel has carried out thousands of airstrikes on Hezbollah targets despite a supposed ceasefire from last year, killing more than 100 civilians. And Netanyahu appears determined to repeat that formula in Gaza.

Israeli columnist Amit Segal, known for his close contacts with Netanyahu and his allies, directly connected Lebanon and Gaza in a recent interview with the New York Times. The ceasefire in Lebanon is “actually enforced, with heavy fire when necessary,” Segal said. “I think this is what Israelis want from Gaza,” he added. “You can attack from the air once you see a tunnel being built.”

Israel has also claimed that Hamas is dragging its feet on returning the bodies of deceased hostages, which Israeli officials view as a violation of the ceasefire. Hamas argues that it is struggling to find the bodies, some of which may be buried under rubble or in tunnels.

Further contributing to the erosion of the ceasefire is Israel’s support for armed gangs in Gaza, which have clashed with Hamas in recent weeks. The second phase of the ceasefire is meant to include a full disarmament of Hamas, but the militant group continues to argue that it can’t give up its weapons until it subdues these groups and reestablishes order in Gaza. Between this challenge and Israel’s commitment to continuing its attacks, it appears unlikely that the two sides will ever actually reach a deal on a second phase of the truce.

In 2003, President George W. Bush stood before a banner that said “Mission Accomplished” and declared that the U.S. had won the war in Iraq after just six weeks of fighting. But it would be more than a decade before the U.S. finally ended its ground operations in the country. Today, it appears that Trump risks having a “Mission Accomplished” moment of his own.


Top image credit: U.S. President Donald Trump looks on at the aircraft carrier USS George Washington, during a visit to U.S. Navy's Yokosuka base in Yokosuka, Japan, October 28, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein
google cta
Reporting | QiOSK
G7 Summit
Top photo credit: May 21, 2023, Hiroshima, Hiroshima, Japan: (From R to L) Comoros' President Azali Assoumani, World Trade Organization (WTO) Director-General Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Australia's Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the G7 summit in Hiroshima, Japan. (Credit Image: © POOL via ZUMA Press Wire)

Middle Powers are setting the table so they won't be 'on the menu'

Asia-Pacific

The global order was already fragmenting before Donald Trump returned to the White House. But the upended “rules” of global economic and foreign policies have now reached a point of no return.

What has changed is not direction, but speed. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney’s remarks in Davos last month — “Middle powers must act together, because if we’re not at the table, we’re on the menu” — captured the consequences of not acting quickly. And Carney is not alone in those fears.

keep readingShow less
Vice President JD Vance Azerbaijan Armenia
U.S. Vice President JD Vance gets out of a car before boarding Air Force Two upon departure for Azerbaijan, at Zvartnots International Airport in Yerevan, Armenia, February 10, 2026. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque/Pool

VP Vance’s timely TRIPP to the South Caucasus

Washington Politics

Vice President JD Vance’s regional tour to Armenia and Azerbaijan this week — the highest level visit by an American official to the South Caucasus since Vice President Joe Biden went to Georgia in 2009 — demonstrates that Washington is not ignoring Yerevan and Baku and is taking an active role in their normalization process.

Vance’s stop in Armenia included an announcement that Yerevan has procured $11 million in U.S. defense systems — a first — in particular Shield AI’s V-BAT, an ISR unmanned aircraft system. It was also announced that the second stage of a groundbreaking AI supercomputer project led by Firebird, a U.S.-based AI cloud and infrastructure company, would commence after having secured American licensing for the sale and delivery of an additional 41,000 NVIDIA GB300 graphics processing units.

keep readingShow less
United Nations
Monitors at the United Nations General Assembly hall display the results of a vote on a resolution condemning the annexation of parts of Ukraine by Russia, amid Russia's invasion of Ukraine, at the United Nations Headquarters in New York City, New York, U.S., October 12, 2022. REUTERS/David 'Dee' Delgado||

We're burying the rules based order. But what's next?

Global Crises

In a Davos speech widely praised for its intellectual rigor and willingness to confront established truths, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney finally laid the fiction of the “rules-based international order” to rest.

The “rules-based order” — or RBIO — was never a neutral description of the post-World War II system of international law and multilateral institutions. Rather, it was a discourse born out of insecurity over the West’s decline and unwillingness to share power. Aimed at preserving the power structures of the past by shaping the norms and standards of the future, the RBIO was invariably something that needed to be “defended” against those who were accused of opposing it, rather than an inclusive system that governed relations between all states.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.