Follow us on social

google cta
Diplomacy Watch: Privately, experts ask White House ‘what’s the longer-term gameplan?’

Diplomacy Watch: Privately, experts ask White House ‘what’s the longer-term gameplan?’

The idea that the war will end at the negotiating table may reflect a ‘nascent Washington consensus’

Europe
google cta
google cta

This week in Puck News, Julia Ioffe wrote about how a group of establishment foreign policy experts who regularly take part in calls with the White House evaluate the Biden administration’s response to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, and what that means for the administration’s strategy moving forward. 

“Everyone I spoke to who participated in these White House briefing calls was vociferous in praising the Biden administration’s policy on Ukraine,” Ioffe writes. “But as soon as we went off the record or spoke on background, the truth flowed like a mighty river. It turns out that Washington’s foreign policy set has grown increasingly frustrated with the Biden administration’s Ukraine policy.”

These experts’ frustrations stem from a lack of clarity on what the Biden administration’s long-term strategy is, and how it can eventually reconcile American interests, which are constrained by military and political realities, with Kyiv’s desire to eject Russia from all Ukrainian territory, including Crimea.  

Ioffe’s story is the latest in a string of pieces in recent months that suggest that the administration may be changing course and privately urging Kyiv to seek an end to the conflict, despite maintaining its public commitment to supporting Ukraine for “as long as it takes.”

 In February, the Washington Post reported that “U.S. officials are telling Ukrainian leaders they face a critical moment to change the trajectory of the war, raising the pressure on Kyiv to make significant gains on the battlefield while weapons and aid from the United States and its allies are surging.” Earlier this month, Politico ran a story on the slowly fracturing relationship between the U.S. and Ukraine. 

These reports all suggest that the administration plans to empower Ukraine as much as it can with new arms and ordnance for counter offensives through the summer before reassessing. Ioffe quotes one participant in these calls “What that reassessment means, it’s not clear to me. Does that mean hold our levels of support steady? Does it mean we escalate [our levels of support]? Or does it mean that we start having a conversation about how do we freeze things?” 

The third option, according to Ioffe, seems to be the most likely. “It’s as if when Chairman [of the Joint Chiefs of Staff] Mark Milley went rogue back in November to say that this war wouldn’t be settled on the battlefield but at the negotiating table, he wasn’t speaking out of school but reflecting a nascent Washington consensus.” Milley had said in November that Moscow and Kyiv would have to reach a "mutual recognition" that a wartime victory "is maybe not achievable through military means, and therefore you need to turn to other means," and that a window for negotiations may open in the winter, a remark which reportedly sent the White House scrambling to reassure Ukraine.  

In other diplomatic news related to the war in Ukraine:

—Russian authorities arrested Wall Street Journal reporter Evan Gershkovich on espionage charges in Moscow on Thursday. The arrest shows that Moscow is “increasingly treating the United States as an open belligerent in a war against Russia,” the Quincy Institute’s George Beebe, who previously led Russia analysis at the CIA, told Responsible Statecraft.  

— In an apparent warning to the West, President Vladimir Putin said Russia will station tactical nuclear weapons in Belarus. “We are doing what they have been doing for decades, stationing them in certain allied countries, preparing the launch platforms and training their crews,” Putin said in an interview with Russian state television last weekend, according to the Associated Press. 

— In an apparent rebuff to Beijing’s recent proposal, Secretary of State Antony Blinken said he backs Ukraine’s peace terms, which, among other things,  demands the withdrawal of all Russian forces from Ukrainian territory. "I think we all have to be very much aware and beware of what may seem to be well-intentioned efforts, for example, to call for cease-fires,” Blinken said, arguing that such a solution.  “would potentially have the effect of freezing in place the conflict, allowing Russia to consolidate the gains that it's made, and simply use the time to rest and refit and then re-attack."

—Turkey’s parliament approved Finland’s membership in NATO on Thursday, clearing the path for the Nordic nation to join the alliance. Hungary voted in support of the move earlier this week. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has demanded that Sweden, whose application to join NATO remains pending, do more to crack down on Kurdish exile groups active in Sweden that Ankara considers terrorists. 

—Washington has ceased sharing information about its strategic nuclear stockpile with Moscow, in response to Russia’s announcement last month that it was suspending its participation in the New START Treaty.  Russia‘s foreign ministry has since said that it would keep notifying the U.S. about test launches of its ballistic missiles. 

U.S. State Department news:

In a press briefing on Wednesday, before the Russian foreign ministry’s apparent clarification, State Department spokesman Vedant Patel spoke on Russia’s decision to suspend its participation in New START. 

“We believe Russia to already be in violation of the New START Treaty, but broadly, the U.S. is going to continue to evaluate next steps with regard to Russia’s noncompliance with New START. And we’ll consider additional countermeasures which will be informed by our own national security impact of Russia’s violation and our strategy for bringing Russia back into compliance,” he said. “The important thing to remember here, Alex, is that the U.S. – that this is a treaty that is of importance to us. We believe it offers and enhances the security of not just the United States but also the world largely, but also, in fact, Russia as well. And that’s why we continue to do what we can to try and bring all parties back into compliance.”


google cta
Europe
As Iran strikes loom, US and UK fight over Indian Ocean base
TOP IMAGE CREDIT: An aerial view of Diego Garcia, the Chagossian Island home to one of the U.S. military's 750 worldwide bases. The UK handed sovereignty of the islands back to Mauritius, with the stipulation that the U.S. must be allowed to continue its base's operation on Diego Garcia for the next 99 years. (Kev1ar82 / Shutterstock.com).

As Iran strikes loom, US and UK fight over Indian Ocean base

QiOSK

As the U.S. surges troops to the Middle East, a battle is brewing over a strategically significant American base in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

President Donald Trump announced Wednesday that he would oppose any effort to return the Chagos Islands to Mauritius, arguing that a U.S. base on the island of Diego Garcia may be necessary to “eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous [Iranian] Regime.” The comment came just a day after the State Department reiterated its support for the U.K.’s decision to give up sovereignty over the islands while maintaining a 99-year lease for the base.

keep readingShow less
Bill White Belgium
Top photo credit: US ambassador to Belgium Bill White talks to the press after a meeting at the offices of the Foreign Affairs department of the Federal Government in Brussels, Tuesday 17 February 2026. BELGA PHOTO MARIUS BURGELMAN

US diplomat accuses Belgian officials of anti-semitism on X

QiOSK

A number of Donald Trump's ambassadors have very questionable experience for the jobs they are doing. That is not unusual — presidents throughout history have given out posts as favors for fundraising or other political or personal supports. The problem with some of these diplomats is they seem to forget they actually have a job to do — and it's not ingratiating the boss by insulting his host country because they think that is what the boss wants to hear.

Case in point: Bill White, who worked for and ran a museum for the USS Intrepid before quitting abruptly amid a pay-for-pay state pension scandal for which he eventually paid a $1 million settlement in 2010. He used to raise money for Democrats. Then he shifted to raising money for Trump in 2016 and was installed as Trump's ambassador to Belgium four months ago. It's not going so well.

keep readingShow less
New US cluster bombs pose ‘severe, foreseeable dangers’
Top image credit: A US soldier carries a 155mm cluster munition

New US cluster bombs pose ‘severe, foreseeable dangers’

Military Industrial Complex

A coalition of human rights organizations, anti-war groups, and Christian churches are urging the U.S. to cancel its $210 million purchase of next-generation cluster munitions from an Israeli state-owned company, citing the “severe, foreseeable dangers” these weapons pose to civilians.

In an open letter shared exclusively with RS, the organizations write that cluster munitions “disperse submunitions across broad areas, making it exceedingly difficult to confine their impact to lawful military targets.” By expanding its cluster munitions stockpiles, the U.S. is putting itself “dramatically out of step with civilian protection practices,” the groups argue.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.