Follow us on social

google cta
2022-08-08t120808z_350965365_rc27sv9i29ms_rtrmadp_3_religion-ashura-yemen-scaled

Yemen needs more than military parades and anniversary parties

Recent Houthi celebrations are a bit tone deaf — the people here need food and salaries — and the ceasefire is expiring in just over a week.

Analysis | Middle East
google cta
google cta

SANA'A, YEMEN — Houthi helicopters hovering over the capital on Wednesday morning woke Omar Hanash at 9 a.m. The rebels had declared the day a public holiday so people could celebrate the 8th anniversary of the Houthi take-over of the capital, but Hanash decided to go to the streets in the Sawan area of Sana'a instead to collect bottles and cartons to be used as firewood.

"I live on a food basket from the United Nations and I use the cartons as firewood because I can't afford cooking gas," Hanash told Responsible Statecraft on the afternoon of Sept. 21. "Without the food basket, I would have been starved, and to go celebrating this situation is madness."

Hanash is one of over 23 million people the United Nations says need humanitarian assistance in Yemen today. According to the World Food Programme, the civil war there has made Yemen “the world's worst humanitarian crisis.” 

Hanash, who works as a public servant at the Cleaning and Improvement Fund, complained that Houthi authorities gave him a one-time payment of 20,000 Yemeni riyals ($36) in lieu of his actual salary. He and other public servants in Sana'a criticized Wednesday's military parade because they said their salaries have not been paid, and their economic situations have been moving from bad to worse.

"The Saudi war has weakened the Houthis using warplanes like F16, but the Houthis are parading with old-fashioned helicopters," said Hanash, 55.

There had been no Houthi-sponsored military parades since the Saudi intervention in March 2015, but once the UN-brokered truce went into effect on April 2, the rebel group has hosted several such events — in Dhamar, Amran, Hodeidah, and Sana'a. The UN  expressed concern about the parade in Hodeidah and considered it a violation of the Hodeidah Agreement.

The September parade in Sana'a was the first time the Houthis displayed helicopters captured from the internationally recognized government when they took over the capital city eight years ago. Although the Saudi-led coalition targeted warplanes at Sana'a Airport in that time, it is not clear yet where the Houthis kept these helicopters safe.

Video footage for one helicopter showed it dropping sweets to celebrate what Houthis call the "21 September Revolution" when they led the uprising that forced the government in Sana's, led by President Abdrabbuh Mansur Hadi, to resign.

"If they are honest, they will distribute wheat for starving people begging at Sana'a streets," Ali, who agreed to give his first name, told Responsible Statecraft in Sana'a. "My father is a retired officer without a salary since 2017 and he insults Houthis day and night."

Following the Houthis' takeover of Sana'a, they signed a Peace and National Partnership Agreement with their rivals under the auspices of the United Nations. But their negotiations with Yemeni parties over executing its terms ended with Houthis clashing with Presidential Guards in January 2015 when they surrounded the presidential palace and put Hadi under house arrest.

On Jan. 23, 2015, Hadi played his final card and announced his resignation. On Feb. 10, 2015, the United States closed its embassy in Sana'a and Reuters reported "U.S. officials in Washington who confirmed the embassy would close because of the unpredictable security situation in a country where a rebel group has seized control of the capital, Sana'a."

However, former president Hadi escaped Houthis' house arrest in Sana'a and fled to Aden on Feb. 21. He rescinded his resignation and insists that he is still the president.

This week, former U.S. Ambassador to Yemen Gerald M. Feierstein published an article at Foreign Policy, saying the "Houthis have a poor track record in negotiations. But giving up on negotiating with them isn’t an option."

Meanwhile, the U.S. envoy to Yemen Tim Lenderking has been working on efforts to extend and expand the current UN-brokered truce in Yemen between the Houthis and Saudi Arabia for another six months. 

The State Department said Lenderking returned to Washington on Sept. 14 from travel to the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, and Oman.

“All counterparts expressed their support for an expanded truce agreement that includes paying civil servants, improving freedom of movement through road openings, moving fuel quickly through the ports, and expanding commercial flights from Sana’a airport," the State Department said in a statement. "The United States remains committed to advancing efforts to secure a durable and inclusive peace agreement for all Yemenis that includes their calls for justice and accountability."

The Houthis' conditions for expanding the truce is that public servants in areas under their control be paid salaries from revenues of the oil and gas that the internationally recognized government sells. However, the Saudi-backed government says Houthis should pay the salaries from revenues of Hodeidah port under Houthis' control.

This is just one potential roadblock as Yemen remains at a crossroads ahead of the expiring truce on October 2. At that point the parties will have to choose the fate of this embattled nation — war or peace. They also have to choose the people — feeding them, paying their salaries, allowing them to rebuild. This will be a long journey.


Houthi supporters rally to mark the Ashura day in Sanaa, Yemen August 8, 2022. REUTERS/Khaled Abdullah
google cta
Analysis | Middle East
Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi
Top photo credit: Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi 首相官邸 (Cabinet Public Affairs Office)

Takaichi 101: How to torpedo relations with China in a month

Asia-Pacific

On November 7, Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi stated that a Chinese attack on Taiwan could undoubtedly be “a situation that threatens Japan’s survival,” thereby implying that Tokyo could respond by dispatching Self-Defense Forces.

This statement triggered the worst crisis in Sino-Japanese relations in over a decade because it reflected a transformation in Japan’s security policy discourse, defense posture, and U.S.-Japan defense cooperation in recent years. Understanding this transformation requires dissecting the context as well as content of Takaichi’s parliamentary remarks.

keep readingShow less
Starmer, Macron, Merz G7
Top photo credit: Prime Minister Keir Starmer meets Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and António Costa, President of the European Council at the G7 world leaders summit in Kananaskis, June 15, 2025. Picture by Simon Dawson / No 10 Downing Street

The Europeans pushing the NATO poison pill

Europe

The recent flurry of diplomatic activity surrounding Ukraine has revealed a stark transatlantic divide. While high level American and Ukrainian officials have been negotiating the U.S. peace plan in Geneva, European powers have been scrambling to influence a process from which they risk being sidelined.

While Europe has to be eventually involved in a settlement of the biggest war on its territory after World War II, so far it’s been acting more like a spoiler than a constructive player.

keep readingShow less
Sudan
Top image credit: A Sudanese army soldier stands next to a destroyed combat vehicle as Sudan's army retakes ground and some displaced residents return to ravaged capital in the state of Khartoum Sudan March 26, 2025. REUTERS/El Tayeb Siddig
Will Sudan attack the UAE?

Saudi leans in hard to get UAE out of Sudan civil war

Middle East

As Saudi Arabia’s powerful crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman (MBS), swept through Washington last week, the agenda was predictably packed with deals: a trillion-dollar investment pledge, access to advanced F-35 fighter jets, and coveted American AI technology dominated the headlines. Yet tucked within these transactions was a significant development for the civil war in Sudan.

Speaking at the U.S.-Saudi Investment Forum President Donald Trump said that Sudan “was not on my charts,” viewing the conflict as “just something that was crazy and out of control” until the Saudi leader pressed the issue. “His majesty would like me to do something very powerful having to do with Sudan,” Trump recounted, adding that MBS framed it as an opportunity for greatness.

The crown prince’s intervention highlights a crucial new reality that the path to peace, or continued war, in Sudan now runs even more directly through the escalating rivalry between Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The fate of Sudan is being forged in the Gulf, and its future will be decided by which side has more sway in Trump’s White House.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.