Follow us on social

google cta
As bombs fly, are Americans in Lebanon on their own?

As bombs fly, are Americans in Lebanon on their own?

State Department so far has no plans to evacuate thousands of nationals, despite reports that US gave Israel green light for war

Analysis | Middle East
google cta
google cta

UPDATE 10/4 6:45 a.m.: The U.S. State Department said Wednesday that it had arranged flights for 250 American citizens out of Lebanon this week, but so far no large scale plans for evacuation have been activated.

While the U.S. has reportedly given the green light to Israel’s cross-border war with Hezbollah, the State Department has so far made it clear that, as of now, American nationals seeking to flee Lebanon are down to some meager options.

“At this time there are commercial [flight] options available,” State Department representative Matthew Miller said in a Sept. 30 press briefing in response to a question about an evacuation operation. “We are exploring other potential options, should we need to, but it’s not a decision we’ve made as of yet.”

Stories are already surfacing of Americans trapped in Lebanon, trying to get out. According to 2022 estimates, there are approximately 86,000 Americans in the country.

“Flights are being canceled. My flight got canceled two times already and my third flight. I just got the email today also got canceled,” said Jonathan Sahyoun, a San Francisco Bay area resident who is now in Beirut visiting family.

“Whether it's through the beaches or these military airports. I think that we are just counting on the U.S. government to get us out, because I don't think anybody feels safe driving toward Beirut in the condition it’s in," he told the local news in San Francisco.

The Middle East accelerated towards all-out war on Tuesday, ticked off by Israel’s Hezbollah offensive into Lebanon in the morning and the hundreds of missiles fired out of Iran and into Israel later in the night. The death toll in Lebanon has exceeded 1,000 in the past two weeks, with Israeli airstrikes killing 95 people on Monday alone.

Amidst this incurring invasion, however, the U.S. has yet to form a plan for American nationals in Lebanon — fleeing American made-bombs, no less — beyond offering loans for the small number of remaining commercial flight services out of the country.

To be fair, the U.S. is not alone: no nation has adopted a large-scale military evacuation for their nationals in Lebanon thus far. The critical difference, however, is that none of these other nations are also actively supporting and funding Israel’s aggressive actions that are putting those nationals in harm’s way.

In a statement made Sept. 28 on X, U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin expressed support for Israel’s “right to defend itself” against Iranian-backed terrorist groups in Lebanon and elsewhere in the Middle East. Two days earlier, Israel said it secured $8.7 billion in aid from the U.S. for its military operations.

By contrast, Israel’s invasion into Lebanon on Oct. 1 prompted condemnation from other leaders across the world. The U.K., while less fervent in its disapproval of Israel, did announce plans on Tuesday to charter a plane to Beirut, offering seats for its citizens and dependents for £350 each.

A State Department spokesperson told Responsible Statecraft that they are working with international partners and airline carriers to expand the current limited capacity of commercial flights out of Lebanon for American citizens.

“We have been exploring options on how to best assist U.S. citizens in Lebanon. Our planning incorporates the overall security situation, availability and reliability of commercial transportation, and U.S. citizen demand,” the spokesperson said. “We have been and will continue to monitor the situation in Lebanon closely and will provide information directly on options for U.S. citizens to depart as they become available.”

The Department encouraged American citizens in Lebanon to fill out their crisis intake form, which offers help with passports, visas for accompanying spouses or minors, and applying for a loan from the U.S. government to finance travel expenses out of the country.

Further action may indeed not be far away, with the U.S. stationing dozens more troops in Cyprus last week for a potential evacuation situation in Lebanon. It took the U.S. just three days after Israel’s invasion of Lebanon on July 13, 2006 to begin a large-scale evacuation project that eventually removed almost 15,000 Americans from Lebanon in the following months.

But how much will the U.S. tolerate this time around when the actions of its friends yet again endanger its own people? Based on its general complacency so far in the region, this remains alarmingly unclear.

Aaron Sobczak contributed to research for this article.


REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein

A flight information display screen shows information on a cancelled flight at the Beirut-Rafic Hariri International Airport, in Beirut, Lebanon August 26, 2024. REUTERS/Ahmed Saad

google cta
Analysis | Middle East
Why SCOTUS won’t deter Trump’s desire to weaponize trade
Top image credit: U.S. President Donald Trump talks to Chief Justice of the Supreme Court John Roberts on the day of his speech to a joint session of Congress, in the House Chamber of the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., March 4, 2025. (REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque)

Why SCOTUS won’t deter Trump’s desire to weaponize trade

QiOSK

In a 6-3 decision, the Supreme Court today ruled against the White House on a key economic initiative of the Trump administration, concluding that the International Economic Emergency Powers Act (IEEPA) does not give the president the right to impose tariffs.

The ruling was not really a surprise; the tone of the questioning by several justices in early November was overwhelmingly skeptical of the administration’s argument, as prediction markets rightly concluded. Given the likelihood of this result, it should also come as no surprise that the Trump administration has already been plotting ways to work around the decision.

keep readingShow less
Trump Iran
Top image credit: Lucas Parker and FotoField via shutterstock.com

No, even a 'small attack' on Iran will lead to war

QiOSK

The Wall Street Journal reports that President Donald Trump is considering a small attack to force Iran to agree to his nuclear deal, and if Tehran refuses, escalate the attacks until Iran either agrees or the regime falls.

Here’s why this won’t work.

keep readingShow less
As Iran strikes loom, US and UK fight over Indian Ocean base
TOP IMAGE CREDIT: An aerial view of Diego Garcia, the Chagossian Island home to one of the U.S. military's 750 worldwide bases. The UK handed sovereignty of the islands back to Mauritius, with the stipulation that the U.S. must be allowed to continue its base's operation on Diego Garcia for the next 99 years. (Kev1ar82 / Shutterstock.com).

As Iran strikes loom, US and UK fight over Indian Ocean base

QiOSK

As the U.S. surges troops to the Middle East, a battle is brewing over a strategically significant American base in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

President Donald Trump announced Wednesday that he would oppose any effort to return the Chagos Islands to Mauritius, arguing that a U.S. base on the island of Diego Garcia may be necessary to “eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous [Iranian] Regime.” The comment came just a day after the State Department reiterated its support for the U.K.’s decision to give up sovereignty over the islands while maintaining a 99-year lease for the base.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.