Follow us on social

google cta
Lobby Horse

New pal Trump dumps all foreign bribery charges for Mayor Adams

The New York City Democrat was facing indictments for allegedly taking gifts and cash from Turkish nationals — until the president stepped in

Analysis | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

Enjoy our new column by the Democratizing Foreign Policy team exposing stealth corruption infecting our system — in plain sight.

On Monday, the Trump administration dropped charges of bribery, campaign finance, and conspiracy offenses against New York City Mayor Eric Adams. Adams had allegedly received some $123,000 in travel benefits from Turkish airlines and knowingly accepted tens of thousands of dollars in illegal campaign contributions from Turkish nationals.

A triumphant Adams addressed New Yorkers today; “I thank the Justice Department for its honesty. Now we can put this cruel episode behind us and focus on the future of our city.”

The Justice Department memo cited two reasons for this dismissal. First, the Justice Department invoked a fear of weaponization, suggesting that “it cannot be ignored that Mayor Adams criticized the prior administration immigration policies before the charges were filed.” (All of the targets of the most high-profile foreign influence cases of the Biden administration era were Democrats).

Second, Deputy Attorney General Emil Bove said the decision was not based on the strength of evidence in the case, but rather it was distracting from law-and-order priorities.

If the mayor of the largest city in America being in the pocket of a foreign government is not a law and order priority, what is?

The memo echoed a series of orders dispatched by Attorney General Pam Bondi last week. Bondi noted that the Justice Department will only bring criminal charges of the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA) in “instances of alleged conduct similar to more traditional espionage by foreign government actors.” Her Justice Department also disbanded the Foreign Influence Task Force, made up of some 50 FBI agents tasked with uncovering covert plots to meddle in U.S. politics, citing “risks of further weaponization and abuses of prosecutorial discretion.”

Adams is the first to reap the benefits of this policy shift, having spent months auditioning for the Trump administration’s favor. Adams met with Trump in Mar-a-Lago, attended his inauguration, and the two even chatted ringside at a UFC fight at Madison Square Garden. Both maintain they were victims of a weaponized Justice Department; "We were persecuted, Eric. I was persecuted, and so are you, Eric,” said Trump at a dinner in October.

Following an 11-year sentence for bribery and acting as a foreign agent, Sen. Bob Menendez (D-NJ) is trying to follow the same playbook. “President Trump is right. This process is political, and it's corrupted to the core. I hope President Trump cleans up the cesspool and restores integrity to the system,” he said outside of a New York courthouse after his conviction in late January.

Menendez had used his role as Chair of the Foreign Relations Committee to benefit the government of Egypt, approving arms sales in exchange for gold bars and luxury cars.

There are several other ongoing cases. Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-Texas) was indicted for bribery and acting as a foreign agent, receiving some $600,000 in kickbacks from a bank in Mexico City and an oil company controlled by Azerbaijan. Sue Mi Terry allegedly fed non-public U.S. government information to South Korean intelligence while working at various think tanks. An indictment against New York State official Linda Sun alleged that she was given millions of dollars while secretly working for China.

None of these cases have gone to trial, creating an awkward question of how they will proceed amidst the Justice Department’s shift away from FARA enforcement. Caplin & Drysdale’s Matt Sanderson told Politico that “it will be difficult to sustain an ongoing case that does not involve espionage-type behavior.”

One thing is for sure, though. If Trump’s first moves are any indication, it is open season for foreign influence in America. Perhaps most revealing, Adams was not even charged with a FARA violation. There are other laws on the books — bribery, after all, is still illegal — but what good are they if they are being dismissed too? For politicians looking to cash in from foreign governments eager to buy influence in Washington, the floodgates are open.


Top image credit: Khody Akhavi
google cta
Analysis | QiOSK
Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi
Top photo credit: Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi 首相官邸 (Cabinet Public Affairs Office)

Takaichi 101: How to torpedo relations with China in a month

Asia-Pacific

On November 7, Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi stated that a Chinese attack on Taiwan could undoubtedly be “a situation that threatens Japan’s survival,” thereby implying that Tokyo could respond by dispatching Self-Defense Forces.

This statement triggered the worst crisis in Sino-Japanese relations in over a decade because it reflected a transformation in Japan’s security policy discourse, defense posture, and U.S.-Japan defense cooperation in recent years. Understanding this transformation requires dissecting the context as well as content of Takaichi’s parliamentary remarks.

keep readingShow less
Starmer, Macron, Merz G7
Top photo credit: Prime Minister Keir Starmer meets Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and António Costa, President of the European Council at the G7 world leaders summit in Kananaskis, June 15, 2025. Picture by Simon Dawson / No 10 Downing Street

The Europeans pushing the NATO poison pill

Europe

The recent flurry of diplomatic activity surrounding Ukraine has revealed a stark transatlantic divide. While high level American and Ukrainian officials have been negotiating the U.S. peace plan in Geneva, European powers have been scrambling to influence a process from which they risk being sidelined.

While Europe has to be eventually involved in a settlement of the biggest war on its territory after World War II, so far it’s been acting more like a spoiler than a constructive player.

keep readingShow less
Sudan
Top image credit: A Sudanese army soldier stands next to a destroyed combat vehicle as Sudan's army retakes ground and some displaced residents return to ravaged capital in the state of Khartoum Sudan March 26, 2025. REUTERS/El Tayeb Siddig
Will Sudan attack the UAE?

Saudi leans in hard to get UAE out of Sudan civil war

Middle East

As Saudi Arabia’s powerful crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman (MBS), swept through Washington last week, the agenda was predictably packed with deals: a trillion-dollar investment pledge, access to advanced F-35 fighter jets, and coveted American AI technology dominated the headlines. Yet tucked within these transactions was a significant development for the civil war in Sudan.

Speaking at the U.S.-Saudi Investment Forum President Donald Trump said that Sudan “was not on my charts,” viewing the conflict as “just something that was crazy and out of control” until the Saudi leader pressed the issue. “His majesty would like me to do something very powerful having to do with Sudan,” Trump recounted, adding that MBS framed it as an opportunity for greatness.

The crown prince’s intervention highlights a crucial new reality that the path to peace, or continued war, in Sudan now runs even more directly through the escalating rivalry between Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The fate of Sudan is being forged in the Gulf, and its future will be decided by which side has more sway in Trump’s White House.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.