Follow us on social

google cta
Shutterstock_1182946162-scaled

Trump's point man on Syria joins Biden-linked consulting firm

The former official helped steer US policy in Syria away from fighting ISIS and toward countering Iran and Russia.

Reporting | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

The Trump administration’s point man on Syrian affairs is now working part-time for a consulting firm with links to the Biden administration.

Ambassador James Jeffrey had been the face of some of the Trump administration’s most controversial Middle East policies as the State Department’s special envoy to Syria. He’s been working “in a 1099 capacity” at WestExec Advisors since January 2021, a spokesperson for the firm confirmed by email.

WestExec was founded by several Obama administration alumni, a number of whom now serve in high-level Biden administration roles. Its co-founder, Antony Blinken, is now Secretary of State, while former WestExec principal Avril Haines serves as Director of National Intelligence.

Jeffrey, a former career diplomat with decades of service under both Democratic and Republican administrations, came out of retirement to take over the Trump administration’s Syria policy in 2018.

During Jeffrey’s tenure, U.S. policy shifted from fighting the Islamic State to counteracting Russian and Iranian influence in the region. After urging Syrian Kurdish-led forces to dismantle their fortifications along the border in exchange for U.S. protection, the Trump administration gave a tacit green light for Turkey to invade in October 2019.

“I feel bad for your career because that is no way to end an honorable career, defending the indefensible,” Rep. Gerry Connolly (D–Va.) told Jeffrey during a hearing that month.

Jeffrey also made controversial statements shortly after retiring from the Trump administration. He claimed to have played “shell games” to keep the true number of U.S. forces in Syria hidden from the president — which former national security adviser John Bolton also bragged about — and referred to an offshoot of al-Qaida as an “asset” to U.S. regional strategy.

But it appears that Jeffrey is back in Washington’s good graces. He’s now working at WestExec, a firm that is well-connected — too-well connected, according to critics — to powerful Democratic circles.

In addition to his part-time consulting position, Jeffrey serves as chairman of the Middle East program at the prestigious Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. And he’s had numerous media hits over the past few months.

“Look around the Middle East among America’s friends and partners in Ankara, Cairo, Jerusalem, Riyadh, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Kuwait City, Amman. Tell me anybody who’s happy to see the Trump administration go,” Jeffrey told the Times of Israel in December. “All of the front-line countries around the world were happy with what Trump actually did.”


New York, NY - September 18, 2018: US Ambassador James Jeffrey Special Representative for Syria presides at Security Council meeting on situation in Middle East Syria at United Nations Headquarters (photo: lev radin via shutterstock.com)
google cta
Reporting | QiOSK
Why SCOTUS won’t deter Trump’s desire to weaponize trade
Top image credit: U.S. President Donald Trump talks to Chief Justice of the Supreme Court John Roberts on the day of his speech to a joint session of Congress, in the House Chamber of the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., March 4, 2025. (REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque)

Why SCOTUS won’t deter Trump’s desire to weaponize trade

QiOSK

In a 6-3 decision, the Supreme Court today ruled against the White House on a key economic initiative of the Trump administration, concluding that the International Economic Emergency Powers Act (IEEPA) does not give the president the right to impose tariffs.

The ruling was not really a surprise; the tone of the questioning by several justices in early November was overwhelmingly skeptical of the administration’s argument, as prediction markets rightly concluded. Given the likelihood of this result, it should also come as no surprise that the Trump administration has already been plotting ways to work around the decision.

keep readingShow less
Trump Iran
Top image credit: Lucas Parker and FotoField via shutterstock.com

No, even a 'small attack' on Iran will lead to war

QiOSK

The Wall Street Journal reports that President Donald Trump is considering a small attack to force Iran to agree to his nuclear deal, and if Tehran refuses, escalate the attacks until Iran either agrees or the regime falls.

Here’s why this won’t work.

keep readingShow less
KC-135 Stratotanker
US Air Force (USAF) KC-135R Stratotanker, 92nd Air Refueling Wing (ARW), Fairchild AFB, Washington (US Air Force photo)

Military tankers for Iran attack deploying near Iraq War levels

QiOSK

Military experts say the U.S. asset mobilization in the Middle East theater is now resembling a real staging for war, with the prevailing chatter more about "when" than "if" an attack will happen.

One of the data points catching the eye of these experts is the number of air tankers — military aircraft used to refuel combat fighters in midair — that are in or headed to the region. Open source intelligence analysts say there are at least 108 such tankers either in CENTCOM theater as of Friday (31) or in strategic locations outside that command or staging in Europe. Most are KC-135 Stratotankers, made by Boeing. (Editor's note: This information has been updated).

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.