Follow us on social

google cta
Seth Harp

Congress subpoenas journalist for sharing name of Venezuela op commander

The highly unusual move sparked outrage among press freedom advocates

Reporting | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

The House Oversight Committee voted to drag investigative journalist Seth Harp before Congress after he revealed the identity of a commander of Delta Force, the U.S. military special operations group that led the mission to abduct Venezuela’s president on Saturday.

“He should be held accountable for potentially leaking classified information and doxxing service members, potentially putting their lives and their family members at jeopardy by narco terrorists,” argued Rep. Anna Paulina Luna (R-Fla.), who sponsored the motion to subpoena Harp.

During a Wednesday mark-up, Rep. Robert Garcia (D-Calif.) amended Luna’s motion in order to include subpoenas for the executors of Jeffrey Epstein’s estate, bolstering support for the move among Democrats. The final measure passed the Oversight Committee with near unanimous approval in a voice vote.

Harp, who recently wrote a best-selling book about illegal activities carried out by Delta Force, vigorously contested the claim that he “doxxed” the commander, noting on X that his post, which contained a screenshot of a publicly available page about the officer, did not include “any personally identifying information about him.”

X forced Harp to remove the post in order to prevent the suspension of his account on the platform. When RS attempted to search the commander’s name on X, no results appeared, suggesting that the site is removing all posts that reveal his identity.

“It's pointless to try to educate these people on the law, but a civilian can't ‘leak classified intel,’” Harp wrote on X. “Those restrictions only apply to government employees.”

Press freedom groups were quick to condemn the decision to subpoena Harp, characterizing the move as an attack on the media as a whole. “Reporters have a constitutional right to publish even classified leaks as long as they don’t commit crimes to obtain them,” said Seth Stern of the Freedom of the Press Foundation. “Harp merely published information that was publicly available about someone at the center of the world’s biggest news story.”

Chip Gibbons, the policy director at Defending Rights & Dissent, said the subpoena is “clearly designed to chill and intimidate a journalist doing some of the most significant investigative reporting on U.S. Special Forces.”

Luna’s “own statement makes clear that far from having a valid legislative purpose, she seeks to hold a journalist ‘accountable’ for what is essentially reporting she dislikes,” Gibbon argued. “Harp did not share classified information about the U.S. regime change operation in Venezuela. And even if he had, his actions would firmly be protected by the First Amendment.”

Harp’s decision to publish the name of the Delta Force commander drew sharp backlash from many right-wing pundits, who argued that the post put the commander at risk. Harp, in response, made the case that the public has a right to know who is involved in major military operations abroad.

In 2024, the House voted unanimously to pass a bill that would have prevented Congress from issuing subpoenas to journalists for their reporting, but the Senate declined to vote on the bill after President Donald Trump lambasted it in a post on Truth Social.

The Quincy Institute, which publishes RS, hosted Harp in October of last year for a discussion of his book, The Fort Bragg Cartel.


Top photo credit: Seth Harp in 2025 (Quincy Institute/You Tube Screengrab)
google cta
Reporting | QiOSK
Haiti
Top photo credit: A man protests holding a Haitian flag while Haitian security forces guard the Prime Minister's office and the headquarters of the Transitional Presidential Council (CPT) in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, February 6, 2026. REUTERS/Egeder Pq Fildor

Further US intervention in Haiti would be worst Trump move of all

Global Crises

Early last week, U.S. warships and Coast Guard boats arrived off the coast of Port-au-Prince, as confirmed by the American Embassy in Haiti. On land in the nation’s capital, tensions were building as the mandate of Haiti’s Transitional Presidential Council neared expiration.

The mandate expired Feb. 7, leaving U.S.-backed Prime Minister Alix Didier Fils-Aimé in power. Experts believe the warships were a show of force from Washington to demonstrate that the U.S. was willing to impose its influence, encouraging the council to step down. It did.

keep readingShow less
US military Palau
Top photo credit: .S. Marines from 1st Marine Division attend Palau’s 25th annual boat race at the Japan-Palau Friendship Bridge, Sept. 29, 2019. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by 1st Lt Oscar R. Castro)

Palau (Shutterstock)

US working to expand control over Compact states in the Pacific

Asia-Pacific

The United States is quietly working to reassert its control over the compact states, three island states in the central Pacific Ocean.

Last month, witnesses at a congressional hearing revealed that the Trump administration is expanding military and intelligence operations in Palau, the Marshall Islands, and the Federated States of Micronesia. Witnesses told lawmakers that the three countries occupy an area critical to U.S. power projection and pivotal for geopolitical competition with China.

keep readingShow less
Ngo Dinh Diem vietnam coup assassination
Top photo credit: U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower and Secretary of State John Foster Dulles (from left) greet South Vietnamese President Ngo Dinh Diem at Washington National Airport. 05/08/1957 (US Air Force photo/public domain) and the cover of "Kennedy's Coup" by Jack Cheevers (Simon & Schuster)

'Kennedy's Coup' signaled regime change doom loop for US

Media

Reading a book in which you essentially follow bread crumbs to a seminal historical event, it’s easy to spot the neon signs signaling pending doom. There are plenty of “should have seen that coming!” and “what were they thinking?” moments as one glides through the months and years from a safe distance. That hindsight is absurdly comforting in a way, knowing there is an order to things, even failure.

But reading Jack Cheevers' brand new “Kennedy’s Coup: A White House Plot, a Saigon Murder, and America's Descent into Vietnam” just as the Trump administration is overthrowing President Nicolas Maduro in Venezuela is hardly comforting. Hindsight’s great if used correctly. But the zeal for regime change as a tool for advancing U.S. interests is a persistent little worm burrowed in the belly of American foreign policy, and no consequence — certainly not the Vietnam War, which killed more than 58,000 U.S. service members and millions of Vietnamese civilians before ending in failure for our side — is going to stop Washington from trying again, and again.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.