Follow us on social

google cta
090127-f-7383p-001-scaled

Russian jet hits US drone in apparent ‘close pass’ gone wrong

While unlikely to spiral into a wider crisis, the incident highlights the risks of escalating tensions between Washington and Moscow.

Europe
google cta
google cta

A Russian fighter jet hit an American drone flying over the Black Sea this morning, according to the U.S. military, which said the incident occurred during a routine flight over international waters.

The collision came after two Russian jets intercepted the MQ-9 Reaper drone and dropped fuel on it, according to U.S. officials. As Defense One noted, the incident appears to be “the first time a Russian aircraft has brought down a U.S. aircraft since the Cold War.”

While intercepts of foreign planes are a regular occurrence, today’s incident was notable for its “unsafe and unprofessional” nature, according to National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby. The State Department has summoned Russia’s ambassador to the United States.

For their part, Russian officials blamed the crash on the drone, arguing that it made a “sharp maneuver” before hitting the fighter jet. They also alleged that the Reaper had turned off its transponders, making it more difficult to track.

Dara Masicott of the RAND Corporation described the incident as a “close pass that went bad.” While details remain unclear, Masicott speculated that the Russian pilot was attempting to force the drone to change course by flying in front of it. But, she added, a “deliberate bump cannot be ruled out yet.”

Early reports have not indicated whether the drone was armed. U.S. forces have used Reapers in a range of different roles, including high-altitude surveillance and drone strikes. In 2020, the United States used a Reaper drone to kill Iranian military leader Qassem Soleimani.

The crash is unlikely to spiral into a wider crisis, according to George Beebe of the Quincy Institute. But it highlights that “we are walking right up to the edge of a direct U.S.-Russian military confrontation.”

“The Russians see the war in Ukraine as not just a bilateral war between Russia and Ukraine but a larger conflict with the United States, so the war in Ukraine is not going to end if we're not willing to address that larger conflict too,” Beebe said.


MQ-9 Reaper Drone. Photo Credit: U.S. Air Force
google cta
Europe
Is America still considered part of the 'Americas'?
Top image credit: bluestork/shutterstock.com

Is America still considered part of the 'Americas'?

Latin America

On January 7, the White House announced its plans to withdraw from 66 international bodies whose work it had deemed inconsistent with U.S. national interests.

While many of these organizations were international in nature, three of them were specific to the Americas — the Inter-American Institute for Global Change Research, the Pan American Institute of Geography and History, and the U.N.’s Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean. The decision came on the heels of the Dominican Republic postponing the X Summit of the Americas last year following disagreements over who would be invited and ensuing boycotts.

keep readingShow less
After shuttering USAID, Trump launches new foreign aid strategy
Top photo credit: Abuja, Nigeria, March 06, 2021: African Medical Doctor giving consultation and treatment in a rural clinic. (Shutterstock/Oni Abimbola)

After shuttering USAID, Trump launches new foreign aid strategy

Washington Politics

Almost exactly one year ago, the swift dismantling of the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) got underway with a public statement issued by the State Department.

At the start of July 2025, the State Department officially absorbed what was left of the storied agency. A few short months later, to fill the USAID-shaped hole in America’s soft-power projection abroad, the Trump administration launched an $11 billion plan to provide foreign health assistance.

keep readingShow less
What happens when we give Europe first dibs on US missiles for war
Top photo credit: Volodymyr Selenskyj (l), President of Ukraine, and Boris Pistorius (SPD), Federal Minister of Defense, answer media questions after a visit to the training of soldiers on the "Patriot" air defence missile system at a military training area. The international reconstruction conference for Ukraine takes place on June 11 and 12. (Jens Büttner/dpa via Reuters Connect)

What happens when we give Europe first dibs on US missiles for war

Military Industrial Complex

For weeks the question animating the Washington D.C. commentariat has been this: When will President Donald Trump make good on his threat and launch a second round of airstrikes on Iran? So far at least, the answer is “not yet.”

Many explanations for Trump’s surprising (but very welcome) restraint have emerged. Among the most troubling, however, is that it is a lack of the necessary munitions, and in particular air defense interceptors, that is giving Trump second thoughts. “The missile defense cupboard is bare,” one report concludes based on interviews with current and former U.S. defense officials.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.